WHAT IS FOLIC ACID?
Folic acid is a B vitamin (B9) called as folate. It helps make healthy new red blood cells, which carry oxygen to all the parts of your body. If your body not have enough folic acid, the body can make abnormally large red blood cells and not make enough red blood cells. The body not work properly and you can develop anemia, which can cause tiredness.
The body needs folic acid to make red blood cells (RBC), white blood cells (WBC), platelets. Your body need vitamin B12 to use folic acid properly, if B12 level are low folic acid can’t be used.
Folic acid is also important for the normal development of a baby (fetus). Folic acid plays a role in metabolism, synthesis of DNA, formation and maturation of blood cells and conversion of homocysteine to methionine.
FOLIC ACID TEST
A folic acid blood test measures the amount of folic acid in your blood. Folic acid measured in the liquid portion of blood (plasma).
Folic acid can also be measured as the amount in the red blood cells. This level was measure, when the call was made as much as two-month earlier. It’s a more accurate way to measure the body’s level of folic acid.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR FOLIC ACID TEST
If you have taken any supplements or medication, it can interfere with the results, so you avoid to take food before you take a folic acid test. You should not eat and drinks six to eight hours before the folic acid test. You need preparation for fasting is more important for a folic acid test.
The test name is knowns as folic acid, a technician will use a needle to take blood from the vein and the clot sample is taken as the test. It’s a serum sample using in the blood sample, clot sample is centrifuge after collecting the plasma.
IF SAMPLE ERROR OCCURS
Lysed sample are not taken in the blood test because the value is change.
WHY DO FOLIC ACID TEST
- Your doctor may recommend the folic acid test and you are showing symptoms of folic acid deficiency.
- Pregnant women more need to do this test.
WHY MORE IMPORTANT OF PREGNANT WOMENS
- Folic acid particularly important for pregnant women or who are planning to become pregnant.
- Pregnant women need extra folic acid to make more red blood cells and maintain normal growth of their baby.
- Women’s get not enough folic acid before and during pregnancy likely to have a child born with a birth defect.
- Taking extra folic acid during pregnancy can help to prevent brain and spinal cord child born with a birth defect, such as (spina bifida) and cleft lip or cleft palate.
DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS AND PREVENTION
Folic acid deficiency result in a type of anemia called megaloblastic anemia, may cause a sore tongue, diarrhea, headaches, weakness, forgetfulness, fatigue.
- Elevated homocysteine levels the risk for heart disease.
- Blood clot and stroke.
- Having severe folic acid deficiency can also increase risk of certain cancers.
- Loss of gastric juices,
- Inflammatory bowel disease,
- Sufficient folic acid used to prevent and treating low blood levels of folate for (folate deficiency).
- Its cause spina bifida, neural tube defects for fetus.
- Folic acid also prevents high blood levels of homocysteine (hyperhomocysteinimia).
- It cause heart disease and stroke.
- If you have enough amount of folic acid preventing certain birth defects and used for the normal development of the fetus.
GOOD FOOD SOURCES
Folic acid rich foods, its used to prevent the folic acid deficiency.
- Brussels sprouts,
- Other greens,
- Orange juice
Folic acid normal range: 2.7 to 20 ng/ml
Normal range (value) may vary slightly among different labs.
FOLIC ACID TABLETS
There are many ways to use folic acid tablets, it’s very useful for more disease of folic acid deficiency. When your consultant considered take folic acid tablet you will take as tablets.